This page was last updated on 11/21/2016
Evidence for Thimerosal Risk – Page 1 (Vaccination News)
Evidence for Thimerosal Risk – Page 2 (Vaccination News)
WARNING: Some vaccines still contain mercury (in the form of thimerosal). See table.
In the case of vaccines manufactured using thimerosal, the amount of thimerosal per dose is included on manufacturer package inserts specific to each product. Testing thimerosal-containing products using the TCLP test provides the specific level of mercury within a specific product. In June 2010, SDDENR contracted a third- party laboratory to analyze the level of mercury in two brands of multi-dose H1N1 vaccines preserved with 0.01 percent thimerosal to obtain general information relative to vaccines containing thimerosal. Based upon calculations (50 ppm mercury/5 mL vial) and test results (40 ppm and 43 ppm/5 mL vial), the department determined the level of mercury in multidose thimerosal-containing vaccines tested exceed the 0.2 ppm TCLP standard for mercury. With the information provided by the manufacturer and results from the TCLP analyses, unused multidose vials containing thimerosal that are destined for disposal need to be managed as a hazardous waste. Consequently, unless a manufacturer or generator has information or a TCLP analysis performed on a vaccine that documents otherwise, unwanted vaccines containing thimerosal should be managed as hazardous waste that exhibits the characteristic of mercury toxicity. In addition to the multidose vaccines containing thimerosal discussed above, some companies offer a 0.5 mg/L single dose, pre-filled syringe vaccine. Some of these products are labeled “preservative- or thimerosal-free”. Preservative-free products may contain trace amounts (less than or equal to 1 microgram/0.5 mL dose) because thimerosal was used during the manufacturing process. The term preservative- or thimerosal-free can be utilized if the manufacturer further purified the product, leaving only trace amounts (less than or equal to 1 microgram/0.5 mL) per dose. Even at this level, calculations indicate mercury would exceed the TCLP standard; therefore these vaccines, if deemed unusable, should be managed as hazardous waste as well.
Watch/Listen to Frank B. Engley, Jr., PhD on mercury in vaccines (VIDEO) In May 2008, Dr. Frank Engley gave the only known taped interview about his research of mercury’s use in vaccines at the Autism One conference. The 88 year old dedicated his life to the field of microbiology, having served as a trusted consultant to several government agencies including the FDA, CDC, CIA, NASA, Armed Forces Epidemiological Board (AFEB) and an ad hoc consultant to numerous biomedical companies. He also served on the National Council of the NIH National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. His research first led him to discover that thimerosal was toxic down to “parts per billion” in 1948, and decades later he would tell parents of thimerosal injured children, “they say nobody has ever researched thimerosal, I’m nobody.” Some say that Dr. Frank Engley knew more than 65 years ago that thimerosal was highly toxic and should never be injected into the human body and certainly not into newborns on their first day of life.
“the introduction of thimerosal into vaccines appears to have been based on a single, uncontrolled and poorly reported human study in the late 1920s.” see: “http://www.safeminds.org/protect-yourself/fludocuments/ACIP%20Letter%20AJN%20edits%207-06.pdf
See also VIC Home & Learning Center Information.
Thimerosal (Thiomerosal in Australia) is an organic mercury salt preservative that has been used in manufacturing vaccines since the 1930s. Thimersal’s Material Safety Data Sheet states that Thimerosal contains 49.6% w/w organically-bound mercury and it’s Caution Statement says that Thimerosal is toxic, alters genetic material, may be irritating to the eyes, and causes allergic reactions. “Effects of exposure may include numbness of extremities, fetal changes, decreased offspring survival, and lung tissue changes. Skin Permeable. Toxic. Mutagen. Irritant (eyes). Allergen. Nervous System and Reproductive Effects.”
Reports have indicated that infants can receive ethylmercury (in the form of thimerosal) at or above the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency guidelines for methylmercury exposure, depending on the exact vaccinations, schedule, and size of the infant.
Animal models are often the best predictors of toxicity in humans – particularly primate studies.
- One such study following monkeys exposed to either Methyl Mercury MeHg (via oral gavage) or vaccines containing thimerosal (via intramuscular injection) at birth and 1, 2, and 3 weeks of age demonstrated that Thimerosal accumulates as inorganic mercury in the brain.
- Another study, to be published , is a comparative study on methyl- and ethylmercury-induced cellular toxicity in rats that shows similar impacts to cellular viability between ethyl- and methyl- mercury.
- A 2007 study from the University of Rochester performed an animal study on neonatal mice and thimerosal (a component in some vaccines). They found:(1) The mean organic mercury in the brain and kidneys was significantly lower in mice treated with thimerosal than in the methyl mercury-treated group. In the brain, thimerosal-exposed mice showed a steady decrease of organic mercury levels following the initial peak, whereas in the methyl mercury-exposed mice, concentrations peaked on day 2 after exposure.(2) In the kidneys, thimerosal-exposed mice retained significantly higher inorganic mercury levels than methyl mercury-treated mice.(3) In the liver both organic and inorganic mercury concentrations were significantly higher in thimerosal-exposed mice than in the methyl mercury group.(4) Ethyl mercury was incorporated into growing hair in a similar manner to methyl mercury.
Michael B Schachter MD writes:
In 2006 Alan D. Clark, MD and Lujene G. Clark wrote an open letter to legislators and physicians titled “The Science of Mercury and Thimerosal.” The Clarks detailed some of the many studies on the extreme toxicity of ethylmercury and compounds using it. Note: this letter has been removed from the web, but can still be viewed here (thank goodness for the internet archive)!
Russian studies in the 1980s showed that Thimerosal mutates genes and “had the strongest irreversible lethal effect”:
– “[T]himerosal….has been found not only to render its primary toxic effect, but also capable of changing the properties of cells.”
– “This fact suggests that the use of thimerosal for the preservation of medical biological preparations, especially those intended for children, is inadmissible.”
I advise everyone to read the Clarks’ letter, where study after study, quote after quote provides conclusive evidence from qualified mercury researchers that Thimerosal damages and kills cells at very low levels.
A Case-Control Study of Mercury Burden in Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders published in the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons found a strong, statistically significant association between greatly increased urinary mercury concentrations and the presence of autistic spectrum disorders in vaccinated children.
Thimerosal was once used in opthalmic solution (contact lenses). It was removed from these products after it was shown to accumulate in tissue after use. Also of note in this study was the increase in intrauterine death that increased after injection of the product.
Teratogenicities and tissue accumulation of thimerosal. Arch Ophthalmol 93: 52-55., 1975
- Rats (n=10/group) were injected with 1.0 ml of 0.2% or 2.0% thimerosal i.p. from GD 6-18. Rabbits (n=7) were given 2 drops of 2% thimerosal in both eyes six times a day on gestation day 6 and four times a day on gestation days 7-18.
- An increase in intrauterine death was reported, with the incidence in rats being 1%, 14% and 36% in controls, 0.2% and 2.0% thimerosal groups, respectively. The incidence of in intrauterine death in rabbits was 15% in controls and 39% in thimerosal-treated animals.
Other Scientific Literature to Consider
- Baker JP. Mercury, vaccines, and autism: one controversy, three histories. Am J Public Health.2008;98:244–53. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Silbergeld EK. Mercury, vaccines, and autism, revisited. Am J Public Health. 2008;98:1350. [Author reply: 1350-1] [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Redwood L, Bernard S, Brown D. Predicted mercury concentrations in hair from infant immunizations: cause for concern. Neurotoxicology. 2001;22:691–7. [PubMed]
- Burbacher TM, Shen DD, Liberato N, Grant KS, Cernichiari E, Clarkson T. Comparison of blood and brain mercury levels in infant monkeys exposed to methylmercury or vaccines containing thimerosal.Environ Health Perspect. 2005;113:1015–21. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Pichichero ME, Gentile A, Giglio N, Umido V, Clarkson T, Cernichiari E, et al. Mercury levels in newborns and infants after receipt of thimerosal-containing vaccines. Pediatrics. 2008;121:e208–14.[PubMed]
- Marques RC, Dorea JG, Fonseca MF, Bastos WR, Malm O. Hair mercury in breast-fed infants exposed to thimerosal-preserved vaccines. Eur J Pediatr. 2007;166:935–41. [PubMed]
- Thompson WW, Price C, Goodson B, Shay DK, Benson P, Hinrichsen VL, et al. Early thimerosal exposure and neuropsychological outcomes at 7 to 10 years. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:1281–92.[PubMed]
- Thimerosal in Vaccines—an Interim Report to Clinicians. American Academy of Pediatrics. Committee on Infectious Diseases and Committee on Environmental Health. Pediatrics. 1999;104:570–4.[PubMed]
- Berman RF, Pessah IN, Mouton PR, Mav D, Harry J. Low-level neonatal thimerosal exposure: further evaluation of altered neurotoxic potential in SJL mice. Toxicol Sci. 2008;101:294–309.[PubMed]
2012 Study: Thimerosal induced apoptosis in a mouse model.
- Apoptosis is a physiological form of cell suicide. Mitochondria play a crucial role in regulating apoptotic cell death.
- This study showed that short-term exposure to thimerosal at low concentrations could induce apoptosis in myoblast cells and suggest that exposure to thimerosal may be an important risk factor for skeletal muscle cell development and growth.
2002 Study: The Three Modern Faces of Mercury – Disposition in the Body
- “If, after injection of the vaccine, the thimerosal molecules were to remain intact for a period sufficient to allow diffusion to the bloodstream and thence to the kidneys, rapid excretion might take place…This possibility seems unlikely.”
- “Thimerosal contains the ethyl mercury radical attached to the sulfur atom of the thiol group of salicylic acid. Generally, mercuric ions bind tightly but reversibly to thiol ligands…It is likely, therefore, that the ethyl mercury cation will dissociate from the thiosalicylic acid moiety immediately after injection to bind to the surrounding thiol ligands present in great excess in tissue proteins.”
- “Ulfvarson (63) demonstrated that the type of anion attached to the alkyl mercury radical made little difference to the ultimate disposition in the body. These include such anions as hydroxyl, cyanide, and even the thiol-containing propane diolmercaptide. These findings suggest that the mercury radical rapidly dissociates from the anion in the parent compound to attach to ligands in tissues.”
- “Therefore, it is assumed that administration of thimerosal results in the immediate release of the ethyl mercury to the surrounding tissues. Toxicologically, ethyl mercury in thimerosal is assumed to follow the same pathways of disposition as ethyl mercury absorbed into the body from other ethyl mercury compounds.”
- “Patterns of tissue disposition and excretion. Little is known about mercury levels in human tissue after administration of thimerosal. Suzuki et al. (58) reported levels of total and inorganic mercury in the tissues of a 13-year-old boy who had died 5 days after receiving infusion of artificial human plasma containing thimerosal as a preservative. The infusion of plasma had taken place over a period of 6 months, with a total esti- mated dose of 284–450 mg Hg. The levels of total mercury from high to low were in the following order: liver, kidneys, skin, brain, spleen, and lowest in plasma. The red cell levels were at least 10-fold higher than plasma. The distribution pattern is generally similar to that seen for methyl mercury. These findings are supported by studies in primates dosed with thimerosal (64).”
- Mercury concentrations were significantly raised over control values in brain (high dose group only), liver, muscle and kidney, but not in blood.
- At 24 h, an IM injection of MeHg chloride (17.4 μg) produced total mercury concentrations in the blood (6.2 ± 0.9 μg/g), brain (5.6 ± 1.3 μg; 0.6% delivered dose), and kidney (25.2 ± 5.6 μg; 1.1%), approximately 30% of that obtained from oral administration (blood: 17.9 ± 1.0 μg; brain: 16.1 ± 1.2 μg, 1.5%; kidney: 64.9 ± 6.3 μg, 2.7%). For comparison, PND 16 mice received an IM injection of concentrated dosing suspensions (2 μl dosing vol.) for EtHg chloride (6 μg) or Thimerosal (15.4 μg). For EtHg, approximately 0.39 ± 0.06% of the injected mercury was detected in the brain and 3.5 ± 0.6% in the kidney at 24 h. Thimerosal IM injection resulted in 0.22 ± 0.04% in the brain, and 1.7 ± 0.3% in the kidney. By 7 days, mercury levels decreased in the blood but were unchanged in the brain. An acute IM injection to adult mice of each suspension at a 10-fold higher dose resulted an average 0.1% mercury in the brain, and higher levels in the blood, kidney, and muscle as compared to the young.
Contrary to what many pediatricians claim, US vaccines still do contain mercury in the form of Thimerosal.
The following vaccines contain thimerosal:
(Tripedia brand) DTaP*
*also, Tripedia may be used to reconstitute ActHib to form TriHIBit.
According to the FDA, “Thimerosal is approximately 50% mercury (Hg) by weight. A 0.01% solution (1 part per 10,000) of thimerosal contains 50 µg of Hg per 1 ml dose or 25 µg of Hg per 0.5 ml dose.”
Thimerosal Content in Currently Manufactured U.S. Licensed Vaccines can be found here:
Why does Policy Allow for Thimerosal in Vaccines?
Vermont should prohibit the use of thimerosal, a mercury-containing preservative, in vaccines administered to children less than 18 years of age and in pregnant women, except in the case of an emergency or a temporary shortage. • The use of thimerosal should be phased out from all vaccines administered in Vermont by 2011. • The Vermont Department of Health should develop and disseminate information for Vermonters on how to obtain thimerosal-free vaccines.
Yet in 2011, their Annual report stated that 40% of flu vaccines given to Vermonters still have mercury in them.
The following is taken from an article by Evelyn Pringle, who is a columnist for OpEd News and investigative journalist focused on exposing corruption in government and corporate America. [email protected]
On May 21, 2003, after a three year investigation, “The Mercury in Medicine Report” was released by the House Committee on Government Reform, and stated in part:
“Thimerosal used as a preservative in vaccines is likely related to the autism epidemic. This epidemic in all probability may have been prevented or curtailed had the FDA not been asleep at the switch regarding a lack of safety data regarding injected thimerosal and the sharper eyes of infant exposure to this known neurotoxin. The public health agencies’ failure to act is indicative of institutional malfeasance for self protection and misplaced protectionism of the pharmaceutical industry.”
The Congressional report also said that the CDC, due to its “biases against theories regarding vaccine-induced autism,” had chosen to fund researchers “who also worked for vaccine manufacturers to conduct population-based immunologic studies. . .” and stated:
“The CDC in general and the National Immunization Program are particularly conflicted in their duty to monitor the safety of vaccines, while also charged with the responsibility of purchasing vaccines for resale as well as promoting increased immunization rates.”
In a transcript, obtained under the FOIA, of a secret meeting attended by officials from the FDA and CDC in 2000, Pediatrician Bill Weil, acknowledged the epidemic and stated, “There are just a host of neurodevelopmental data that would suggest that we’ve got a serious problem…. The number of kids getting help in special education is growing nationally and state by state at a rate we have not seen before.”
Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative that was developed in the 1930s by Eli Lilly, and has been used regularly in vaccines ever since basically to boost vaccine maker profits by allowing drug companies to package vaccines in large containers instead of a single dose.
However, years ago children only received a small number of vaccines that were injected with a period of time in between and one dose at a time. Since 1988, the number of vaccines given to children before the age of two has tripled.
Once the cumulative amount of thimerosal that children were receiving through injections of 30-some odd vaccines was finally measured in 1999, the FDA discovered that infants were receiving more than 100 times the EPA’s safe limit for mercury by 18 months.
Internal documents from the FDA and CDC show public health officials knew about the increased mercury they were receiving at least since 1999. A June 29, 1999, email from FDA scientist, Peter Patriarca, to the head of the CDC office on vaccine safety, warned that the FDA was going to be criticized for being “‘asleep at the switch’ for decades by allowing a potentially hazardous compound to remain in many childhood vaccines and not forcing manufacturers to exclude it from new products.”
Mr Patriarca also pointed out that calculating the cumulative amount of mercury in vaccines was not “rocket science” and involved only ninth-grade math. He also noted the questions that agency officials would likely be asked as:
“What took the FDA so long to do the calculations? Why didn’t CDC and the advisory bodies do these calculations when they rapidly expanded the childhood immunization schedule?”
An internal company memo that surfaced in a lawsuit against vaccine maker, Merck, proves the company knew infants were being injected with unsafe amounts of thimerosal back in 1991.
The memo says a 6-month-old baby receiving shots on schedule would receive mercury 87 times higher than established safety guidelines:
“If eight doses of Thimerosal-containing vaccine was given in the first six months of life (3 DTP, 2 HIB, and 3 Hepatitis B) the 200 micrograms of mercury given, say to an average size of 12 pounds, would be about 87 times the Swedish daily allowance of 2.3 micrograms for a baby of that size.”
On September 8, 2004, Dr William Egan, then acting Director of the FDA’s Office of Vaccines Research and Review, told the House Government Reform Committee that prior to the mercury reduction initiative in vaccines, children may have received 187.5 micrograms of mercury by 6 month’s of age through routine childhood vaccinations.
People often ask why some children become autistic when so many do not. As a neurotoxin, thimerosal, has been linked to the depletion of the protective anti-oxidant, glutathione, which helps rid the body of mercury. People with autism seem to be more susceptible to this effect and most have low levels of glutathione. Therefore, their bodies have difficulty excreting mercury.
A December 2004 report by the independent Environmental Working Group determined that autistic children have less glutathione than normal children. The study, led by Dr Jill James, a professor of biochemistry and pediatrics at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, said a glutathione deficit “may contribute to the development and clinical manifestation of autism.”
In 1999, many drug companies claimed they were reducing the amount of thimerosal in vaccines. Some even provided product inserts that claimed that only a trace amount of mercury still existed in the final product. Others even claimed to be producing vaccines that were completely mercury-free.
For instance, a September 1999, press release by vaccine maker Merck declared: “Now, Merck’s infant vaccine line is free of all preservatives.”
However, On March 8, 2005, the LA Times reported that “Merck & Co continued to supply infant vaccine containing a mercury preservative for two years after declaring that it had eliminated the chemical.”
In fact, Merck continued to distribute vaccines containing thimerosal until October 2001, according to a June, 2003 letter from the FDA to Congressman Dave Weldon (R-FL), a doctor by calling, in response to an inquiry. Dr Weldon called what Merck did “misleading.”
“You had people literally into 2002,” he told the Times, “getting shots with mercury, having been told it was all taken out in 1999.”
To see if vaccines were indeed thimerosal free, last year the group, Health Advocacy in the Public Interest (HAPI), sent four vials of different vaccines to be tested for mercury content to Doctor’s Data, an independent lab, which specializes in heavy metal testing.
The tests found that all four contained mercury, despite the claim by 2 companies that their vaccines were completely mercury-free. According to HAPI, all four vaccines also contained aluminum which greatly increases the toxicity of mercury for causing neuronal death in the brain.
In fact, during further investigation, HAPI discovered that thimerosal was still being used during the production process for most vaccines. The drug makers claim that after production, they filter the preservative out of the final vaccines.
However, heavy metal expert, Dr Boyd Haley, PhD, the Chemistry Department Chair at the University of Kentucky, told HAPI that its not possible to remove all of the thimerosal because mercury binds to the antigenic protein in the vaccine and cannot be filtered out completely.
Experts says, a drastic decline in autism has not been seen due to the fact that the drug makers misled the public about when thimerosal was actually eliminated from vaccines. Because the FDA has never ordered a recall of the vaccines previously manufactured and shipped all over the country, many mercury-laced vaccines remained in the inventories of health care facilities and some had an expiration date as late as September, 2005.
In addition, pregnant women and their unborn infants, are still being injected with a full dose of thimerosal in flu vaccines. The CDC has ignored the tremendous amount of scientific evidence documenting the injuries from mercury-laced vaccines and has continued to recommend flu vaccines for all pregnant women and children over 6 months old.
Back in 2002, the research team of David and Mark Geier, released a study based on an analysis of tens of millions of vaccines given to during the 1990s, and presented epidemiologic evidence that demonstrated the association of the increase in thimerosal in vaccines with neurodevelopmental disorders.
The Geier’s analysis of the government’s “Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System” database showed statistical increases in the incidence rate of autism, mental retardation, and speech disorders in children receiving thimerosal-containing diphtheria, tetanus, and acellular pertussis (DTaP) vaccines, when compared with those who received thimerosal-free vaccines.
According to the Geiers, the usual course of DTaP vaccine consists of primary immunizations administered at two, four, and six months, followed up by booster shots at 18 months and five years.
By analyzing the database, the Geiers determined that there were a total of 6575 adverse reaction reports with the DTaP thimerosal-vaccines, compared to only 1516 adverse reaction reports with thimerosal-free vaccines.
In one of their more recent studies in 2005, the Geiers assessed thimerosal exposure in about 110,000 children and found a statistically significant association between exposure to thimerosal and a host of neurodevelopmental disorders including autism, tics, attention deficit disorders, and speech and language delays.
The public remains largely unaware of the autism epidemic because people hardly ever see autistic children out in the community. Aside from taking the children to school, parents seldom take them anywhere because of the difficulty of trying to control them outside of a routine environment.
The increasingly number of children with this disorder is forcing public school systems to provide more special education classrooms to meet their needs. Autistics are the fastest-growing segment of special ed students and schools lack the trained professionals with knowledge of how to work with autistic children. Schools were caught completely unprepared for this epidemic.
Unlike normal children, children with autism do not learn by watching other people and must be taught even the simplest skills such as making eye contact, waiting in line, following directions or how to hold a conversation which often requires one-to-one mentoring.
Skills, behaviors and abilities vary with each child and about half of autistic kids have few or no language skills. Some kids also suffer from other problems that impair learning such as hearing loss or epilepsy and many are not toilet trained.
In a program that serves Minneapolis students, each classroom usually has 6 students and requires one licensed special ed teacher and two special ed assistants. Toddler classrooms are smaller with 4 students and require one licensed special ed teacher and one special ed assistant.
Services by speech and language clinicians, occupational therapists, social workers and adapted physical education teachers are also available at each site based on student needs. And the educational services reflect only part of the expense. Other costs include tuition for summer school to help kids retain skills, transportation costs, and psychological and behavioral evaluations.
In 2003, the California National School Board Association reported that the number of autistic students in California had doubled over four years and represented 13% of the state’s student population of 20,377, at a cost of up to $60,000 per student.
In July 2005, a San Mateo County California civil grand jury released a report warning that increasing numbers of autistic children and the high cost of their education was causing a significant drain of resources for school districts.
The report said the number of autistics in the San Mateo county had doubled since 2000, to more than 5,000, and the county needed to find cheaper special ed alternatives since federal and state funding had not kept up with spending.
The grand jury pointed to a pilot project at a school in San Bruno, that paired four aides and one teacher with a small class and said it was cheaper than one-on-one mentoring, which could cost $50,000 per student.
In one year, the number of children treated for autism at centers operated by the California Department of Developmental Services increased 13% between 2003 and 2004. Autism now accounts for more than half of the new cases handled at the centers, which treats various developmental disorders, with the vast majority of cases being kids 13 and younger. The number of autistics treated at the centers rose from 5,000 in 1993, to more than 26,000 in 2005.
And the numbers are the same all across the nation. The Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services estimates that in 2006, about 25,000 Kentuckians have autism spectrum disorders, an increase from about 1,500 in 1990.
The US Department of Education all total spends about $53 billion a year on grades K-12 education. If the government provides $60,000 per year to educate the currently identified school-age autistics, the tab will run about $7 billion a year, or 13% of its entire budget. And each year the costs will rise as the number of autistics entering the system increases.
On December 10, 2002, Dr David Baskin, a neurosurgeon and Professor of Neurosurgery and Anesthesiology at the Baylor College of Medicine, testified at a Congressional Hearing and told the panel that most autistic children will grow up and require lifelong care because they cannot live independently. He described what he referred to as a “horrible” fact and said:
“Over one-half will never speak. Many of them will never be able to look at their parents and tell them they love them. It’s worse than Alzheimer’s Disease. There’s been a tremendous focus on Alzheimer’s Disease, but these children never had a chance to enjoy life before they lost it.”
According to Dr David Ayoub, author of the report, “Pregnancy and the Myth of Influenza Vaccination-Is it safe, is it effective, is it necessary?” government officials and vaccine makers are working hard to keep the truth about vaccines and autism hidden because if they admit guilt, it would mean they “have taken part in the largest iatrogenic epidemic known to man.”
“The fallout over admission of causality would be unprecedented,” Dr Ayoub said.
Dr Mark Geier is probably the most credentialed expert on vaccines in the US. When he was 23, he corrected a genetic disorder in a tissue culture, gaining distinction as one of the founders of genetic engineering, and earning him front-page articles in the New York Times and London Times, and a call from President Richard Nixon.
He holds an MD and a PhD in genetics from George Washington University and spent ten years at the National Institutes of Health. After several more years as a professor at Johns Hopkins University, he opened the genetic laboratory and clinical practice that he co-owns today. He is also a court-certified expert on vaccines. Based on his years of research on autism he makes a statement similar to Dr Ayoub’s.
“The current epidemic of autism may well be the greatest iatrogenic epidemic in history. The damage already done to our society is already in the trillions of dollars. The damage of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and that of the AIDS epidemic pale when compared to the current epidemic of autism.”
Eighty percent of autistics are under the age of 17. Soon states will be forced to provide support for an enormous number of disabled adults. Many autistics can not be left alone and must be looked after non-stop. If the vaccine makers are not forced to pay for the damage they caused, tax payers will be left to cover the entire expense of daily care and housing as well as life-long medical treatment for this generation of injured children.
As for the other reasons why officials within the FDA and CDC keep denying the link between vaccines and autism, according to Congressman Dave Weldon, “If it is eventually determined that an entire generation of kids was essentially poisoned, a class-action suit against the federal government could be on the order of hundreds of billions of dollars, and so there’s very good reason for them to try to cover this up.”
“And then when they appear as though they are covering it up,” he says, “it makes you suspicious that it’s all true.”
In the book, Evidence of Harm, award-winning author, David Kirby, explains that “the stakes could not be higher. Perhaps billions of dollars in litigation is pending against drug companies involved in vaccine production. The deep pocketed pharmaceutical industry has extended its financial largesse to politicians and scientists around the country, in open pursuit of indemnity against lawsuits and, some charge, in a darker effort to suppress evidence of thimerosal’s toxicity.”
“The jury is still out on thimerosal, but deliberations are well under way,” Mr Kirby writes. “One side will emerge vindicated, and the other will earn eternal scorn in the medical history books.”