The following article was written by Sam Russo, ND, LAc and was originally published by the Vermont Association of Naturopathic Physicians.
January 27, 2010 | Sam Russo, ND, LAc
Working with the Young Immune System
Every parent wants a healthy child. Good health depends on a healthy immune system. The job of the immune system is to protect and defend the body against infection from disease-producing microorganisms such as the viruses, bacteria, fungi, and para¬sites that live in our environment. When the immune system is healthy and functioning properly, it fights off the micro¬organisms and sets up a healing response to repair the damage. Often, the body never shows any sign of the fight. At other times, the signs of illness are present. A healthy, efficient immune system is the key to a healthy, happy child who will resist infection, allergy, and chronic illness.
BUILDING A HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM
Healthy development of the immune system depends on good nutrition to provide the body with the essential building blocks needed for the defense system. Proteins are essential as a source of amino acids needed as building blocks for the immune tissue and organs and for anti¬body production. Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are especially important to a healthy immune system. They are crucial to the normal functioning of (white blood cells, also called lymphocytes) and the production of messenger molecules used for communication between cells. Many vitamins and minerals are vital for a healthy immune system:
• Vitamin A is vital in the production of white blood cells, for healthy lymph tissue, for building a strong thymus and spleen, organs that are incubators of white blood cells. Vitamin A is also necessary for the healthy turnover of cells lining mucous membranes which form our primary protective barrier. Beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A in the body.
• Vitamin B6 is necessary for healthy mucous membranes and is also used by the immune system to produce Iymphocytes. B6 requires zinc to help the vitamin to be utilized by the body.
• Vitamin C plays a big part in defending the body from bacteria and viruses. It stimulates activity of macrophages, cells that eat up invading microorganisms and encourages antibody response. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that promotes balance of the different types of lymphocytes, enhances the production of antibodies and macrophages and aids the immune system’s resis¬tance to viruses. The mineral selenium enhances the effects of vitamin E.
• Magnesium is a key mineral in the metabolism of EFAs into cellular messengers (prostaglandins) that regulate the activity of the white blood cells.
• Zinc is probably the most vital mineral to a healthy immune sys¬tem. It is involved in production, of lymphocytes called T-cells that manage other lymphocytes and destroy microorganisms. Zinc is also needed in tissue healing and repair, and has a strong antiviral activity. It plays an important role in the utilization of B6 in immune health.
• Selenium enhances the activity of macrophages, increases the production of anti¬bodies, and increases the T-cell’s ability to destroy bacteria.
• Bioflavonoid compounds are found in green plants and many fruits. They enhance the effects of vitamin C as a therapeutic agent, have antiviral activity, stabilize mast cells, special cells that release histamine to cause inflammation., . Bioflavonoids prevent free radical damage to muscles, joints, blood vessels, and many other organs.
• Coenzyme Q10 enhances the energy produced in the immune cells, increasing immune activ¬ity.
All of these essential nutrients can be found in a diet rich in organic fresh fruits and vegetables, good whole-grain fibers, and good-quality fats and oils. A diet low in saturated fats, refined processed foods, refined sugars, and additives will help to sup¬port good immune system development by providing the needed nutrients.
FOODS THAT WEAKEN THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
The following foods tend to have little nutritional value, and they weaken the immune system by blocking the function of essential fatty acids in the body and depriving the immune system of nutrition. These foods are “antinutrients” as they are so nutrient-poor they use up stored nutrients needed for health. These antinutrients also use up the enzymes needed for digestion and other body systems, they increase the need for certain nutrients, and they cause some nutri¬ents to be excreted from the body. This is why it is not only important to minimize antinutrient foods in a child’s diet but also to provide the body with a vari¬ety of vitamins and minerals that will help it counteract the effects of poor quality foods.
• Sugars and refined carbohydrates as found in…will counter the effect of EFAs in the body. Sugar increases the loss of magnesium and other minerals through the urine and depletes the body of B vitamins, leading to a weakened immune response. Also, repeated meals of sugars and refined carbohydrates alter blood sugar levels and stress the body, another inhibitor of good immune function. • Bad fats, including hydrogenated oils, margarine, and fried fats, block EFA metabolism. Unhealthy fats will destroy cell membranes. They will also produce sub¬stances in the body that create more tissue breakdown and unfa¬vorable cellular messengers called prostaglandins that promote inflammation in a harmful way.
• Processed, preserved foods and soda contain large amounts of sodium and phosphates. The amount of sodium found in processed and preserved foods is much more than the body needs. Excess sodium intake can cause mag¬nesium, potassium, and other crucial cofactors to be lost in the urine. High levels of phosphates in the body disrupt good bowel absorption of nutrients such as calcium and magnesium. This can lead to problems in EFA metabolism, muscle and bone develop¬ment, and cardiovascular health as well as impairing the ability of lymphocytes to properly migrate to areas of the body . Soft drinks and soda pop are very high in phosphates and are best avoided altogether.
• Modern agriculture uses many pesticides and herbi¬cides in the mass growing of fruits, vegetables, and grains. Their residues remain on most foods to some degree and interfere with the use of vitamin B6 in the body. B6 deficiency can lead to poor EFA metabolism, dysfunction in blood sugar regu¬lation, and a range of neurological conditions. Animals fed pesticide-treated food concentrate pesticides in their tissues. Therefore, choose organic foods whenever possible, including dairy, eggs and meats.
ANTIBIOTICS AND IMMUNITY
The prudent use of antibiotics is a powerful therapy. Antibiotics resolve infectious diseases, reduce suffer¬ing, and save lives.. Yet, over-prescribing and misuse of these medicines have led to other problems , such as a rise in secondary infections after antibiotic treatment. Some of these problems include:
• Antibiotic-resistant bacteria
• Destruction of friendly bacteria
• Yeast overgrowth
• Immune suppression
• Nutrient loss because of digestive irritation, diarrhea, or dysfunctional intestinal microorganisms.
In general, avoid the use of antibiotics as much as possible for minor infections. If they must be used, accompany them with good immune support through vitamins, minerals, herbs and probiotics (beneficial gastrointestinal bacteria) such as Acidophilus.
Diet, exercise, and appropriate use of supplements support good immunity. Prevention of recurrent illness and controlling active illness through immune support will build stronger immunity in a growing child. Immune support for a healthy child is supportive for overall health [overall and great for the whole family.
Dr. Sam Russo graduated from Bastyr University and has practice as a primary care physician specializing in non-surgical orthopedic medicine in Winooski, VT.
June 16, 2013 – in the words of Harris Coulter:
“The bureaucratic transformation of medicine strengthened the power of professional organizations and lessened that of the practitioner. It has insulated medicine from both internal and external criticism.
The possibility of whistle-blowing from within the ranks of practitioners has been almost entirely stifled. The physician who sees first-hand the disastrous consequences of vaccination can rarely make his voice heard, and can never prevail against professional bureaucrats. So the juggernaut rolls on and on.
Any blaming of physicians voiced in this book is, In fact, a rebuke directed against its bureaucratic structure, which has prevented many well-meaning practitioners, who understood the potential dangers of vaccination, from speaking out.
Medical bureaucracies are also largely insulated from external criticism.
Medicine has powerful allies in business and politics. And it has even coopted a part of the press which, while willing enough to censure the highest officials in the land, is often timid and subservient before the self- confidently dogmatic physician.
Protected on all sides, medical organizations were able to press forward with one vaccination program after another, ignoring the evidence that these were exacting a toll in ruined lives.
Once the dimensions of the vaccination catastrophe have been adequately appreciated, corrective action should be taken. If the errors of the past – the wrong decisions and the wrong actions taken in relation to vaccination programs – are seen to reflect the medical profession’s monopoly position in all matters relating to health, the cure should be sought in a curtailment of these monopoly powers.
Power corrupts in medicine as elsewhere. In granting absolute power to medical organizations we have made them candidates for absolute corruption.”
Thanks to this terrific UK based website for Vaccine Information for Parents for preparing the above exerpt.
One must visit the publicly shared FDA documents on vaccine approvals where you will find, inside the “Summary Basis of Regulatory Action letter, and inside the following information about the vaccine ingredients:
Like the licensed trivalent influenza vaccines, Fluzone Quadrivalent is a sterile suspension prepared from influenza viruses propagated in embryonated chicken eggs. The virus is harvested from the allantoic fluid, inactivated with formaldehyde, concentrated, purified in a linear sucrose density gradient solution using a continuous flow centrifuge, and finally chemically disrupted using a non-ionic surfactant, Octylphenol Ethoxylate (Triton® X-100) to produce a “split virus”. This split virus is then further purified and suspended in sodium phosphate-buffered isotonic sodium chloride solution. The upstream manufacturing processing of Fluzone Quadrivalent is identical to that for Fluzone High-Dose, and differs only in the formulation of the final bulk to a lower concentration per mL in order to achieve a 15 μg HA per strain/dose at a volume of 0.5 mL. Data derived from 3 consecutive batches of final bulk product demonstrated validation of the Fluzone Quadrivalent formulation process.
According to the U.K. research firm, Sanofi’s Fluzone QIV, and other quadrivalents, should eclipse sales of three-strain vaccines over the next few years. It forecasts sales of Sanofi’s product should bring in $384 million in 2022 and predicts compound annual growth of nearly 14%. It said Sanofi’s Fluzone franchise of influenza vaccine products “is expected to help position the multinational vaccine manufacturer as a formidable player in the U.S. market.”Of course, it already is a formidable player. According to EvaluatePharma data, it is the top vaccine seller globally, with 2012 vaccine revenues topping $5.5 billion. Sanofi’s Fluzone/Vaxigrip flu shot is already one of the two top-selling vaccines along with PENT Act-HIB, a DTPq, Hib and polio vaccine. EvaluatePharma says those two should remain among the top 3 best sellers for another 5 years.
(see also Mercury In Vaccines)
This FAQ#1 needs a correction, since it would be factually incorrect to state that,
“Mercury is no longer used in American vaccines.”
The following vaccines contain thimerosal:
(Tripedia brand) DTaP*
*also, Tripedia may be used to reconstitute ActHib to form TriHIBit.
According to the FDA, “Thimerosal is approximately 50% mercury (Hg) by weight. A 0.01% solution (1 part per 10,000) of thimerosal contains 50 µg of Hg per 1 ml dose or 25 µg of Hg per 0.5 ml dose.”
Thimerosal Content in Currently Manufactured U.S. Licensed Vaccines can be found here:
Thank you to Jennifer for sending in a correction to this facebook page.*
* this page is sponsored by the Vermont Department of Health, and was paid for with $250,000 of tax money in FY2012.
June 5, 2013
In Western countries, selective refusal of vaccinations is becoming more common. See: http://www.examiner.com/article/highly-educated-israeli-parents-refusing-to-vaccinate-according-to-state-program
Is your baby sick on the day of his/her scheduled vaccinations?
An April study in the Journal of Pediatrics complains that sick children fall out of compliance. The study is is now being used to encourage parents to vaccinate their children even when they are sick. Dr. Lisa Thebner, a pediatrician in New York City was quoted Monday in CNN Health as saying that, ”The ideal is to vaccinate during a sick visit unless there is a proven track record of coming for every well visit, then perhaps it can be deferred.”
The other side of this discussion is that Mother needs to be able to properly monitor her infant after vaccination. With an ear infection, how will she know whether baby’s screaming is due to the ear infection or the vaccine?
That is why you should Ask 8 Before You Vaccinate, and do not vaccinate an already sick child.
Download brochure, here: http://www.nvic.org/CMSTemplates/NVIC/pdf/NVIC-ASK-8-Questions.pdf
Last updated: June 8, 2013
In 2012, we heard testimony from Dr. Chen (Commissioner of Health and former ER doc). One shocking thing he told the Senate Committee on Health is that if a child presents in the ER with a very high fever, he may not do a full workup on the child if the child was vaccinated, because since vaccines he knows that child is “protected.”
Recently, Voices for Vaccines* also posted a blog article that proposes something similar to what Doctor Chen had explained: that vaccinated and unvaccinated children receive a different workup in the ER. They even alluded to the fact that unvaccinated children might cost more!
*This is a so-called advocacy group that claims they receive no funding from pharma, but which is organized under the umbrella of the Task Force for Global Health (which does) and has doctors who are very much aligned with the pharmaceutical industry on it’s advisory board.
If your child is fully vaccinated, let us hope that the vaccines work as promoted. Because in the ER, some doctors may assume that the vaccines work all the time. The fact is, they don’t. Assuming a child with a high fever is truly sick enough to require emergency medical care, as a parent you should insist on full a proper workup regardless of whether your child is vaccinated.
What Voice for Vaccines (and others) seem to be proposing is that a full workup will not be done on a vaccinated child. But, what about the rare but real potential for vaccine failure?
Will your vaccinated but very sick child be sent home or perhaps misdiagnosed?
Did you know that HIB vaccine failure is well documented (see: http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/32/12/1700.full, http://www.hindawi.com/crim/id/2012/950107/)?
Did you know that is the ER docs are not testing for HIB they may also miss strains that are being selected for through use of the vaccine (see http://jcm.asm.org/content/42/2/524.full) and may erroneously send your very sick child home?
“When a vaccine came out with very good uptake, especially across rural Alaska, HiB numbers went way down. But corresponding to that, we’ve had in increase in invasive cases of another sero group, haemophilus influenzae A. We’ve actually had an increase, which you can’t see in the report, but the B numbers are much lower than they were years ago, while the A numbers have crept up,” said Cooper.”
Last update: 6/2/2013. This page will be continually updated. Check back often for updates.
Inform Yourself. There are no “pertussis only” shots – so you will be giving consent to be injected with the “Tdap” vaccine – Tetanus, diptheria and acellular Pertussis vaccine. You may also be asked to enroll in the vaccine maker’s registry for any vaccine you accept while pregnant – because they are still collecting data to assess safety.
- found here: http://www.jpands.org/vol11no2/ayoub.pdf
* from Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) Summary Report February 23-24, 2011 minutes (p. 34-35)
“From January 1, 2005 through June 30, 2010, of 10,350 reports after Tdap vaccines, 129 involved pregnant women who submitted a report to VAERS. Although there were reports of 20 spontaneous abortions, 2 stillbirths, and 2 congenital anomalies, VAERS is not designed to assess whether a vaccine caused an adverse event. A review of VAERS reports in pregnant women who received Tdap vaccines revealed no elevated frequency or unusual patterns. Both GSK and sanofi pasteur maintain vaccination pregnancy registries to collect data on pregnancy outcomes and newborn health status outcomes following vaccination. Both were kind enough to allow Dr. Liang to present on their behalf. The work group reviewed their data in detail, and she provided the summary points. Boostrix® was licensed in 2005 for 10 through 18 year olds, and in 2008 for adults. GSK maintains a registry to collect data on pregnancy outcomes and newborn health status outcomes following vaccination. From its U.S. market launch in 2005 through August 2, 2010, 33 pregnancies were prospectively registered. Of these pregnancies, 18 were lost to follow-up. Outcomes were reported for seven pregnancies, and consisted of six live infants born without birth defects and one spontaneous abortion at seven weeks gestation. The remaining eight pregnancies were on-going at the time of last contact. In addition to the prospective reports of pregnancy received to the pregnancy registry from the U.S., GSK has received 13 reports from other countries. Just over half of these reported normal outcomes. The rest are on-going or were lost to follow-up. There have been no birth defects after Boostrix® vaccination reported to GSK.”
Ingredients (from CDC)
aluminum phosphate, formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, 2-phenoxyethanol, ammonium sulfate, Mueller’s growth medium, Mueller-Miller casamino acid medium (without beef heart infusion)
formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, aluminum hydroxide, polysorbate 80 (Tween 80), Latham medium derived from bovine casein, Fenton medium containing a bovine extract, Stainer-Scholte liquid medium
June 2, 2013
“It’s all right there…
Explained for anyone who takes the time to read it. Outlined in scientific journals and on PubMed, a database accessing the MEDLINE references and abstracts and maintained by the United States National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health.”